Saturday, November 24, 2012

Up cycling yoga pants

So.... its basically been the long weekend of my dreams.  I've had lots of extra time to sleep, dream, eat, practice yoga, paint, create, research, read, practice yoga, play games with my kids, play ukulele and try something new.  Well.......new to me, anyway.

I've been checking out all kinds of upcycled goods on Etsy and this weekend I decided to jump on the bandwagon and create one of my own.  I stumbled across some wonderful soft jersey knit yoga pants and a bamboo blend yoga shirt packed away from the move 7 months ago and that was just the jump start I needed.

When I discovered them, I realized hadn't worn either in over 2 years.  I think there is some kind of rule on that.  If you haven't worn it in a certain amount of time, get rid of it.  (I probably heard that from Oprah or one of her guests)  But I hated to ditch them.  They were so comfy and lovely, but just not practical for my everyday yoga practicing wear.  (Someone really needs to figure out the whole yoga pants and underwear dealio, you know what I'm saying????)

So, I took a deep breath, inhaled some courage and cut them apart.  Oh, man!  It was way scarier than I thought it would be....I was plagued with doubt....with what ifs....but once I started, I felt empowered.  Through destruction there is creation.  

So, I created one of those knotted, messy, no-sew, infinity, a little bit braided and a little bit spaghetti t-shirt scarves I know you've seen on the internet.   

........Except......... I thought I was awfully clever because I decided to use my yoga foldover waistband with the lovely embroidery to create a nice cowl and I also got out my hot glue gun and embellished it with tiny flowers.  

To be honest, I'm not completely sure this scarf is my style.
(It sure does look cute on my girlie, though, doesn't it?)

But I enjoyed the process and learned a lot.  You might not catching me wearing this one, but I will be busy concocting and hatching plans for my next upcycled yoga pants concoction because its all about the process.  Living and learning and evolving....

Namaste~
Tammie


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea! And I love the finished product.Shiva and Shakti, destruction and creation! We seem to be on the same wavelength this week! Namaste!

    ReplyDelete