Saturday, November 3, 2012

Are you off the grid?

Girl, pull your kneecaps up!   

Sometimes you just need a little wake up call during the day...you know,  a little something to wake you out of your walking dead, zombie- like trance.  Instead of grabbing a coffee or coke, I often say to myself, "girl, pull your kneecaps up!" 

Yes, I understand that this may sound a bit silly.  
But, I like to be silly.

This phrase is perfect for me in 2 ways.  First, it makes me giggle.  Secondly, it reminds me to "plug in" to the immense grid of universal energy that is always readily available to me. 

In yoga, we call that universal energy prana.  Other traditions refer to it as chi and ka.  

What do you call that thing that makes life alive?

No matter what you want to call it, its there.  Its constant.  Certain.  Amazingly reliable.  (unlike our aging power grid.)

Sometimes I discover myself walking around letting all my prana leak right out of me.  And one tell-tale sign is flabby kneecaps.   

When I remind myself to seal my feet to the ground with rooting action that begins at the pelvis as I pause and stand for a moment, I receive a "kick back" of prana that is drawn up through my legs like colored water is drawn up through celery in a childhood science experiment.  

My quadriceps engage and pull prana up into my spine.  (This action is detectable physically by the lifting of the knee cap, so even if you aren't yet connecting to the feeling of energy lifting, look for that flabby knee cap to become pert -- and, I mean, really, it feels great to restore perkiness to body parts, doesn't it?)  

From there, I can lift the energy flow even higher with conscious breathing, visualization, and a nice kegel.  Yes, ladies I said kegel -- if you're not sealing the pelvic floor and drawing up; you're leaking more than the occasional urine.   

If I can establish that flow for just a moment or two, the effects of that increased energy flow stay with me for much longer. 

So, I say:  Plug in.  Power up.  

You'll need it this winter.

Don't forget other great ways to protect  and/or increase your prana flow:

your asana practice
living foods (plant-based and as whole as possible; not processed)
diaphragmatic breathing
drink warm or room temperature beverages
wear a scarf, hat, gloves during winter
alternate nostril breathing
lymphatic massage
accupressure points

Namaste~
Tammie




No comments:

Post a Comment