Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Traveling Yogi Looking for Home

For the past 5 days I have been traveling with my husband and two children. Being on the road tests my ability to adapt and acclimate to change. It's difficult being out of my element, in unfamiliar settings, and asked to find compromise in every moment of the day between four separate individuals wants, needs, and desires. I like to be at home.  I feel safe and relaxed there.  In fact, I often use this exact metaphor with my students in class -- that you can find "home" within yourself in any pose and in any moment.  But, even though my yoga practice has given me the tools to find "home" inside of me, no matter the circumstances or my location, I still get slightly anxious when dealing with airports, security checks, strange hotel rooms and rental cars.  


In yoga class a pose challenges you by changing your body in relationship to gravity. When body, mind, and breath unite, you  find "home" in the pose and become at ease.  When body, mind, and breath are scattered, you struggle in the pose.  The pose takes you out of your comfort zone and you must ask yourself:  how will I handle this?  This is exactly what traveling does to me-- takes me out of my comfort zone and I have to deal with it.  Maybe for you its not traveling, but going to the doctor, being stuck in traffic, starting a new hobby, or learning a new language.  We all experience it on some level.


So, for the past 5 days, very few yoga poses have been done by me, but a whole lot of  attempting to find "home" and adapt in a healthy way has been.  I have to remind myself its still a yoga practice, although not the one I prefer.  So, when my mind was irritated and my body cramped after several hours on a flight, or when I was anxious about security, or when I was listening to an over tired child ask again about a souvenir, before reacting I would remind myself to follow a breath down to my core, recalibrate my mind (gauging its emotional reactions to the conditions and releasing them) and find "home" inside of myself.  


In life, it is not a matter of if, but when you will be jolted outside of your comfort zone.  Like anything else, if you practice being taken out of your comfort zone, (in non threatening situations like those yoga poses or trying other activities bring), then you will be better equipped to handle life's slightly larger and more unexpected jolts that push you out of your comfort zone in a healthy manner.  I know I have seen the difference that practicing has made in my life....and I would bet that my husband, kids, and all the travelers I came into contact with during my trip would agree.   


Namaste~
Tammie

No comments:

Post a Comment