Monday, June 11, 2012

The Perfect Yoga Mix Tape

I remember fondly the first time I realized that I could tape record my favorite song in the 1980's.  I put a blank tape in my stereo and, pressed the "play" and "record" buttons simultaneously........and tada!  Magic!  I could listen to the Thompson Twins whenever I pleased.  A decade later, as tapes were weeded out and CDs took over, I shed a silent tear that I could no longer record and make mix tapes.  It took some time, but finally mp3s and CD-Rs once again made it possible for me to put together special moods and messages for myself and friends with music.  And now it is 2012 and I have iTunes...and an iPod and endless possibilities for creating the ultimate playlist to accompany my yoga classes!

I have to admit, while I have always loved putting together playlists for people and events, I haven't always been sure that I should do it for a yoga class.  When I was getting certified to instruct, my teacher (who is amazing) was a strict conservative traditionalist on the subject of music in class.  His stance was "NO MUSIC".  And if you INSISTED on using music, well, then, it should be ambient and not include changes in tempo, rhythm, and definitely should not have any lyrics.  His explanation was a solid one.  Yoga is a practice for turning inward and music could be a distraction from that.  But, ten years later, I find myself breaking all his music rules flagrantly.  I understand where he's coming from.  People make strong emotional connections to music and often associate memories with certain songs.  This definitely could cause the mind to become distracted during a class, but I believe that I can use this same strong emotional connection to music to enhance a student's overall experience of each pose.  I find that the music I choose can speak volumes about the pose and the moment to my students that I cannot always capture with words alone.  I carefully try to match the mood and sensory experience of the poses with a song that allows a student becomes fully immersed in his or her practice. 

Here are some of my basic guidelines for putting together the perfect yoga mix tape:

1.  Eclectic is good.  I like to use new age, world drumming, folk, electronica, ambient, reggae, and even popular music in my class mixes.  Make it unexpected.  Surprise them.
  
2.  Begin with bells.  The simple clarity of a bell struck once and allowed to reverberate cleanses and clears the senses, preparing one for the yoga practice ahead.

3. Use Drums Next and throughout:  The earthy bass of drums help me to feel rooted and stable in the lower half of the body.  They help me "put down roots", so I'm stable and prepared for the movement journey ahead. I sprinkle drums throughout for reminders to stay strong.

4.  Flute/Wind instrument:  Now that we've established our stability, we can unlock and move the spine; finding its liberty and freedom, just as the flute finds its voice with the musician's breath.

5.  Strings/Electronica/Chanting:  The songs are all great for the "meat" of the yoga class: as we begin to celebrate movement through the sun salutation series, vinyasa, and standing poses.  I love to use string versions of Coldplay; it's like a call toward intensity and finding your heart.  It is grace surging through your movements.  On the other hand, a steady electronica beat is wonderful for the repetition of movements; it takes us deeper with each cycle.

6. Folk Interlude:  A message of simplicity in a short, sweet, guitar ditty is just perfect for a moment of reflection in Tadasana after a lot heart-pumping movement.  My favorite is "The Wind" by Cat Stevens.

7. Waves:  I like to close class with something watery and deep that will rock you gently into a deep and satisfying savasana.  "Peace Out" by MC Yogi, featuring Sharon Gannon is my current favorite.  You feel as though you start at the shore, waves lapping at your body and, by the end, her siren's call has led you to the ocean's floor -- which is exactly where you want to be in your final relaxation.

8. Birdsong:  Wake them gently and let them come back slowly-- just like Mother Nature would.

9. Feel-Good:  As they pack up their stuff, send them out the door with a happy message, maybe Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds" or "One Love".

Happy Practicing!

Namaste~
Tammie 








No comments:

Post a Comment