Sunday, September 30, 2012

Embrace the Season

One of the most valuable lessons I have taken away from my yogic studies is this:  Embrace each moment; each season. 

Struggling against a pose is a fight you never win.  Instead, each moment should be about finding comfort, ease, and stability within the circumstances of the pose.  How do we stop struggling?  How can we find a way to be grateful for whatever we are experiencing right now, knowing that it will not last forever?  Nothing in this world lasts  forever.  On Earth, cycles and seasons and transitions rule.  What if we embraced them; instead of struggling against them?  This is essentially what the yoga pose is preparing us for.  If we can adapt physically and release our struggling, then we can take that knowledge into our emotional life and ease our struggles there as well.    

We all pretty much acknowledge the seasons of nature, but do you really embrace them?  Do you dread one and feel that you are enduring it, rather than experiencing or embracing it????  Are you pining for summer or dreading winter instead of embracing autumn?  I've discovered that is a huge waste of time -- as an adolescent I denied winter existed.  I didn't wear a winter hat, gloves, or scarf.  Wearing such gear was not deemed cool or stylish.  No wonder I felt I was suffering through winter.... I was freezing!!  I was in denial and, thus, poorly equipped to deal. 

Although I am not as fond of winter now as I am of summer, I realize its a cycle that demands introspection and reflection.  That is what its designed for -- the soil is blanketed and quiet and resting; so it will be prepared for new growth in the spring.  This is, perhaps, what we, as humans, need to be doing more of in winter:  basking in a more quiet time. I now also realize that we must insulate ourselves (I recommend North Face and Uggs) as the Earth does, to hang onto our heat (life energy) -- instead of foolishly letting it escape.  These slight changes in attitude make a huge difference in how I experience winter as an adult. 

There are also "seasons" of our lives -- different stages and phases -- childhood, young adult, single, married, divorced, caretaker, young parent, older parent.....Perhaps we will not love each cycle.  Perhaps we are better suited to one than another; but there is beauty in each of these seasons:  growing, working, tending, letting go, resting -- these are the same concepts that the Earth models for us.  

In autumn, Earth models surrender for us.  I'd like to share an excerpt from one of my favorite passages concerning this topic:
 
"There are so many leaves.  Piles of them.  I take pleasure in their abundance.  More saints than you could ever dream of.  Each one singular.  Each one itself.  Yellow, red, orange, parchment.  They sail down in the autumn air like fearless sky divers.  They are so trusting -- letting go completely.  Not questioning as I do... Will it be safe?  Will I understand?  Will it hurt?  ....stalling, qualifying, questioning, instead of releasing and taking to the air...................Sweet and wild is the experience of surrender.  There is nothing more intimate."

----Gunilla Norris
Journeying in Place



Sometimes I look out at a yoga class and I see students struggling in Warrior.  Its obvious they are encountering difficulty.  Their muscles are gripping.  Their face is strained.  Their shoulders are tensed.  They are working too hard to hang onto something-- like a leaf that won't shake loose from the tree in the fall.  And I think of that passage. 

On an exhale, I remind them to surrender that gripping and let it roll down and off their back bodies.  I ask them to release the tension to the ground; like the leaves falling.  When they let go of the hardening of their faces and shoulders, they can redirect that energy from a fruitless endeavor into strengthening their roots and core; which is where it is needed it for Warrior.  

Through surrender, they find strength and comfort.

When's the last time you surrendered?  Not to a child's tantrum, or an impulse buy because you were tired, weak, and brittle....but to something greater than yourself because you are strong, attuned, and flexible.  

Right now, all around you, the leaves are changing colors and readying to surrender because it is their time.  I say, let us marvel at this beautiful process and contemplate what we might surrender in this season; knowing that letting go of a struggle will not weaken us, but allow us to strengthen some other aspect at our core. 

  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment