Friday, May 25, 2012

Yoga 101: The Big Reveal

I've noticed a trend in all these popular makeover and reality show on television these days.  After an hour of meandering filler and fluff, there is a "big reveal" to close the show and that's it.  End of story.  End of journey.  I find this weird because its just the opposite in a hatha yoga practice.  The poses tend to produce a big reveal pretty early on when you are still a beginner.  The big reveal is a pivotal point in a yoga practice.  Its the moment that the framework of the poses allows you to see yourself with clarity.  It determines the direction of your yoga journey.  

Every big reveal is different.  Each yoga journey is unique.  Some people find a class, go once a week, enjoy it, but don't crave it.  Some people, like me, find it permeates their life.

I'm discreetly doing yoga poses while I'm grocery shopping.  I'm discovering yoga metaphors in my gardening, my art, and my parenting.  I'm quietly watching my breath and posture moment to moment; making subtle shifts that change how I'm perceiving, experiencing, and interacting with life.  

I think its important to remember that a big reveal is only the beginning and each and every journey is valid, no matter what direction it takes.  Don't mistakenly believe that your big reveal is the climatic moment, like a TV show; instead savor that moment of clarity and prepare yourself for the upcoming plots twists as you discover what your yoga practice will mean to you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment